Sunday, October 7, 2007

"Insert rod A into slot B"


So we're no longer in the cow. Yes, I said it. The Community Orientation Week, the COW is over. I've been gone for two weeks. Can you feel the difference? I can't.

We finished our week with something special: guest speakers on STI's (STD's) and HIV/AIDS and another on healthy eating. Pretty neat, huh? Actually, the HIV speakers were good. It was an older woman and a cute, younger girl. They knew what they were talking about quite well, and were very mature about their topic, even when discussing more adult questions. It wasn't that boring either, with a few minor games, including the sex in a cup game and a quiz. Althought it was late and the healthy eating/activity speaker didn't have much time for her presentation, it was good as well. Probably better for the Chinese, to explain Canadian views on health. It was a nice day. Some people went out for dinner, and all of us joined up to go to the bar; sort of a celebration. It was a bad start of a night, as I waited for half an hour for everyone. And two people supposedly went to a bar already and we wanted to include an under age girl. We were standing around for a long time before we decided to hit up a local pub. But it was more than just her. The Chinese didn't have their ID, and not even their passports! So in the end, we decided to go to the park and hang. It was alright. I just wanted to do SOMETHING! It was a chilly night. I ended up learning two new phrases in mandarin, bring my total knowledge of mandarin up just a bit. I learned one of the more important phrases I'll learn (or pronounce wrong) : I don't know. Bu jer dao. Don't even ask about spelling. But I had no one to worry about me coming home late. Brenda, my host family, is out with her boyfriend and kids at some hot springs for the weekend. It's a family tradition for them I guess. So Gary and I are home alone. Which, for today, allowed for ample personal time. I woke up and grabbed a bike and tried out the trails along Mission Creek. It was a beautiful trail system. I was very impressed. After a great long ride, I taught Gary how to make grilled cheese sandwiches. I went treasure hunting after. If no ones heard of geocaches, then they're missing out. http://www.geocaching.com/. Kelowna's full of geocaches, and I found two simple ones today, without using a GPS! I was so stoked. It only required a lot of walking. I want to turn this into an activity for the group! It would be sweet! And so, in case I don't update beforehand,

Happy Thanksgiving everyone.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

What's the "sex in a cup game", sounds interesting?! :P

Devon Flynn said...

They do it a lot at these kinds of workshops. Everyone gets a cup of some liquid, the liquid that, one of the people told me, was the same liquid the guy from Fight Club put on his wrist to burn it. So, SOMEONE HAS HIV/AIDS! Everyone has "sex" by pouring their cups contents into another persons. When the orgies done, they eye drop another liquid into everyones cup. If your cup turns pink, YOU GOT AIDS! Life simulating, you know?

Anonymous said...

Thanks for writing this.