Wednesday, October 10, 2007

...AND THERE WAS BLOOD EVERYWHERE!!!


Yes, there was blood. But let me start from the beginning.

Okay, not quite the BEGINNING, but yeah, whatever.

So things have settled down a bit. We're no longer in our community orientation week (lol, the COW) We have started our first day of work today. Most of us. Some didn't work for various reasons. My first job; the food bank. I got all dressed up nice, ready to make good impressions. And I did. Wendy, Felix, Jack and I worked there for the morning. Felix and Jack had to work at another placement in the afternoon. For the morning, Felix and I worked on a sort of assembly line. There were various food products or items, like vegetables, fruits, or toothpaste, garbage bags, salt, desserts, etc. Darwin, our "boss" started the assembly for people and Felix and I would finish it. Different people, from homeless people, handicapped, to those with financial problems came in. They were just people to me. And I was giving them food, but never accepting cash. And it felt real good to do that. I was happy back home when I worked the good food box and I got to give some boxes extra food, acting as the "Good Food Box Fairy!" I had that feeling most of the day. And nowhere did I think, I hate this job. My legs were sore from standing all day though, but that's not that bad. It was great to see how generous the food bank was by how much they gave away, but also how everyone else is by how much they receive in the warehouse! There are SO many things back there, including non-food items, like a shipment of sandals and Crocs, which some employees were taking some home. I think as volunteers, speaking on all volunteers behalf, I think it's fairly reasonable to have small thank-yous like that. I didnt' take a pair, because I hate those sandals. And they make the employees and volunteers lunch, and from what I over heard, breakfast too! Amazing people. They let us off early, but I used my spare time well I think. I donated blood today (there it is!) I've wanted to for a long time, but never had the chance as Hazelton doesn't have those facilities. The nurses there gave me a little insight into the blood business. I was surprised to find not only is BC the lowest blood donating province, it's contributions are actually decreasing! So the nurses seemed very proud of me that I came in. They got that big needle in me and bled me good. An average bag takes about 10-15 minutes to fill, but they were quite surprised that I filled mine in 6 minutes and felt perfectly fine after. It's happy blood! So I did a few good deeds today. I'm gonna try to convince my group to donate blood. It's probably a good idea as well, since we're going out of the country soon.

No comments: