Thursday, October 4, 2007

Nope, it did

So to continue with the dramatic turn of events from the days before;

My description of what happened were fairly accurate. To respect their governments wishes, the Chinese participants can't openly invite publicism of the "Stand Up Against Poverty" event or be apart of it. They can't actually participate in any publicity activities, unless asked directly upon. I don't really understand it still. I mean, we are promoting good things here. What's wrong with calling a journalist to tell them. This goes for all our projects here in Kelowna. I wanted to question it further, but didn't believe it would make a difference at that point. I still don't understand why. However, I must insist, the Chinese participants were very friendly about this and stressed they didn't want to strain our friendships and that although the subjects were sensitive, they were glad we were respecting them and that didn't mean they were completely untalkable-about. So that's that I guess.

We were given our jobs finally. We did a similar fashion of voting. We would write down the jobs we wanted, #1 wanted the most, #2 the second most, etc. Our supervisor pointed out that people who didn't get their first choice in counterparts or host families would likely be given preference. I can understand. I got my first choice counterpart and second host family, so my vote meant nil. I wanted to work at the mayor's youth forum, where participants would discuss issues around Kelowna with teenagers. It really sounds like something I would do. I also wanted to work at a science center that would go around with displays and fairs for different schools. But instead I was given the jobs of working one day with handicapped people at the Parkinson Recreation Center and moving canned food for people at the Food Bank. I don't mind those jobs. However, I do feel uncomfortable working with handicapped people. I was very nervous and out of my comfort zone when we went to Community Living Algoma in Katimavik. But the interviewers agreed, it takes a certain kind of person to work with them. I thought maybe, one day a week wouldn't be bad. Plus I get to play games and activities with them. I like doing that. And FYI, half the people I play the energetic games I play act retarded anyway (I'm so going to hell) After that, we set up committees. There are a LOT of committees. Energizers committee, CAD (community activity day) mid-point reflection, clean up committee, time committee, movie club, FIGHT club!!!! I signed up for most of them. I tend to do that. I've always been like that though. It felt a bit overwhelming though, whether I signed up for a bunch or not. Usually I'd build up that bubble of paranoia I tend to do, but I convinced myself it's all a matter of getting used to the system we're thrown into, getting used to it. It's like that everywhere; new school, new town, new people, new jobs, etc. Katimavik was like that, and we faired great! I think it will be good. And everyone was very energetic and joined lots of committees as well. I'd much rather them join too many then too few. I think it will be good.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You do make me laugh hahahha.

I did a volunteer thing last year for one day with 'special needs' adults, meaning they basically have some pretty severe mental/physical problems. It's hella challenging but very rewarding at the same time and I did quite enjoy it looking back though it was pretty stressful too. I think you could hack it though. Good luck!

eeka said...

boohoo, so you didn't get what you wanted.. try to take portions and make it your personal project. i have like 18 of those.