Wednesday, December 26, 2007

I think the radio is annoying in all languages!




I had my first day of work yesterday, today being my second. The fact that I'm updating my blog goes to show you how much I'm doing right now.

The first day wasn't that exciting. The 15 minute drive to work was more of an adrenaline rush (seriously, I kid you not! NEVER BIKE IN BEIJING!) Gary's colleagues all welcomed him back and were excited to see the little scared Canadian teenager following him around. He introduced me to everyone, I'd say what little mandarin hellos I knew, you kinda get the picture. He said I could check my email, and like a frightened boy seeking his thumb to suck, I embraced the technological comfort that allowed me to go back home, talk to my friends. Irony blows! Stupid time difference meant very few family members were online. Gary informed me there was little to do until after the New Year's, which meant it would be boring. So the computer was solice. In the afternoon, we went for lunch in another building. Luckily, most government work places in China give free lunches. I found out they also get a 2 hour lunch period, which, with the later time, they spend playing cards. By the end of this program, I'll know how to play that fucking game and beat all their asses! More so in the afternoon, Gary and I went to the mall. Remember, we had nothing to do. There he showed me a mall, we looked around a bit at shoes, watches, etc. We also bought a map of the Chongwen district and a chinese dictionary. By that, I mean the chinese words come first, and then you find out what they mean, not the other way around. Oh well, it's still useful. I thought Canada was consumeristic? China's just as bad! It's all about brand names, and who endorses what. Everything tries to be so bright and colorful and "advertizistic." I'm sure we're not the only two countries plagued by this. We also picked up some juice and water that Gary's workplace gets for ordering the newspaper. He had to go get a bike for it, but thank god, we walked it back. Uncle Li drove me home, and we cooked dinner. I'm sure even by the end of the program, I won't know half of what I ate. I just eat it. After, he helped me find my friends on my map that I bought. I was so excited to find out where my friends were. But I think they're further away then they seem. Afterwards I phoned Lyndsay. She was online briefly at work, and was freaking out, desperatly seeking Canadian company. Sadly, she was not home. I got ahold of Leah, who seemed to be having a tough time as well. I think we're all a little AUGH right now, although I'm sure Jamie is just loving it, as he knows the most mandarin. Bastard. I get by though. But I can feel my stress is high. It's a culmination of things; settling in, not knowing what the hell my host dad is saying half the time, missing my group, having a severe disability in my skills. I can't really go out, can't go shopping by myself too much, can't do a lot it seems. I want a calling card to call home. I miss everyone. But I keep telling myself to stick it out. I did Katimavik which was longer, I survived Quebec. And it will really prepare me for my bike trip across Canada I think. It's making me appreciate everything back home and even things here. Like, I respect how hard the Chinese try to save water, from washing dishes, to their "showers" However, I do miss food at home. I made Li shushu french toast today. I thought that would be a real treat, to share some Canadian food, and he could use the maple syrup Gary bought him. But he didn't seem all that interested, so I was kinda sad. But familiar food in my belly made me happy. It's all part of the experience.

No comments: