Wednesday, December 26, 2007

Breath in....breath out....breath in.....and cough








I'm still getting used to Beijing. It's an experience, it's new, it's scaring the crap out of me, I miss my friends, I want to go home! *deep breaths. It's not that bad, but the culture shock has come hard.

There we were, having Christmas in Beijing, partying and having a few beers with the Director of Foreign Affairs of the Chongwen District, singing karaoke, Stephane and I trying to pick up the Chinese waitress with our poor Mandarin and it was like BLAMO! We were thrown from our cozy group into host families, the which almost none spoke english, and almost all of our counterparts living elsewhere. Most of the families didn't want a Chinese stranger living in their house. I find that ironic, because would a foreign stranger be much better? Also, many of the family homes weren't large enough to accomodate extra room mates. So we bussed to a new hotel to meet our new host families and work leaders and have dinner with them. I don't know about the other participants, but my dinner was quite quiet. I was just tired from the previous night and worrying about having broken my glasses and not knowing the man beside me that I would be staying with for 3 months. Casual conversation didn't flow like I was accustomed to. But I have been in situations where it takes awhile for that to happen, with or without a language barrier. We went to his home afterwards, with barely a chance to say goodbye to my friends. But I think we were all a bit rushed and confused. I found myself looking out the window of the car at the strange new world. Strange signs, odd faces, and a shit load of bikes! I found myself saying holy crap every ten minutes after someone almost getting hit. We brought my bags in and soon went shopping with Gary. Uncle Li, or Li shushu, took us to a store to buy bedding and some food. It was strange, being in a grocery store, where I'd usually be accustomed to. There were new products, some familiar ones with different names. Like coke. Oh my god they love coke! We had it for every meal at the resort in 2.5 litre bottles. Li shushu is going to buy me a bed tomorrow. However, it will be in the living room as space is limited. I understand, but think it will still hard for me to find my privacy. Showering is completely different here as well. No tub, no shower curtain! Just the tap and the shower head. I actually suggested the tub to stand in to Li shushu. You have warming lamps above so you don't freeze, and you just mop the floor after. Every time. They're big on saving water, which I can also understand. It just takes some getting used to. I think my showering habits might still take a turn though. And as we've been warned, even described to in the CWY guide book, my appetite has taken a turn. I'm very tired lately, trying to understand the people, language and everything. I went to bed probably the most early I've ever went, last night. 8pm! It didn't seem like I needed sleep while we were at the hotel, but now I really do. I'm gonna give this time.

No comments: