Sunday, December 16, 2007

Hand cramp...must...stop...

Seriously, between writing 18 pages in my journal and updating the blog and then the freakin website, my hand is gonna be fucked! So I'll try to keep it brief, not like I ever do.

Our debriefing continued on Thursday. We discussed specific, real scenarios that basically, pissed people off, without using names though. We talked about these and resolved most of them. Then Emma, our previous guest, an alumni from the Beijing program as well, talked with the Canadians about culture shock. It was really helpful, just hearing her stories, how she felt, how she dealt with things there. She gave us good advice on relationships, communication and Chinese norms, culture, behaviors, etc. The meeting went late, which combined with more fiascos with the busses caused me to be late getting home. First, the busses. I had to get get off the 97 express for whatever reason, but it was okay! I didn't even have to wait because there was another one right in front of me. Surely it wouldn't drive away as I walked towards it. Oh! Yeah, it did!!! Fucker barely left the curb but the bus driver wouldn't let me on! So I had to wait for the 11 South Rutland bus. I got on and began reading, and they kicked us off, because it was turning into the number 7! I was pissed. After getting home, I started baking cookies for the next days farewell party. I was up pretty late baking delicious cookies. Brenda was very helpful in getting ingredients last minute.

So, we dropped off our baking and pre-made supper the next morning, because we were going skating! It was most of the Chinese participants first time going skating as well! We rented our own private round rink for this! Practically all the Canadians knew how to skate and therefore taught all the Chinese. They picked it up alright, for a short afternoon. They just needed more practice is all. It was quite fun, spinning, falling down, sliding on the chairs, chasing eachother. We returned to the Friendship Center and began to set up tables, chairs, and heating up or cooking our dishes for our very own farewell party. The guests included our host families, friends, and work partners. We ate a fantastic dinner (ahem) and watched a short but great slide show put together by Anthony. Then the participant counterparts went up and shared stories about their host families with the crowd. Gary and I shared scaring Brenda when I hid in the leaves, Gary getting attacked by the cat, the great marshmallow fight, and even how we met. Lots of great stories were shared. After cleaning up, we expected most of the group to go to Flashbacks, a popular bar. But that list dwindled down to 6 participants, 2 host parents, one of their friends, and a partridge in a pair tree! It was a rocking night though. It was a big bar Christmas party as all the snow hoes and naughty elves were out and about, minus their shirt. Call me crazy, but I didn't think it got that cold at the north pole. Brenda even came, to party with me one last time. Flashbacks was her old stomping ground she told me. The girls had fun chasing after guys to buy them drinks and we all just danced the night away. We walked home with one of the fire fighters who gave us a tour at the fire hall! And also some woman named Tina. You meet the greatest people walking in the snow at like 2:30 in the morning! We all slept at Leah's house, just exhausted. The next morning, Leah's host mom took us out for breakfast at Denny's! It was delicious!

Saturday I should have packed. I tried hard to get my to do list done. Didn't really happen. I wanted to spend some time with my host brother, so we ended up going to I Am Legend. Quite the movie I should say. I was dropped off at Felix and Anothony's house where there was another party! We played some good rounds of Sociables. I walked Lilly home, describing in-depth my work history and thoughts.

Even thought I got home around 1:30 am, that didn't stop me from going snowboarding with my host sister at Big White. It was quite daunting thought, and expensive! I spent like $120 to go for one day! That includes bus ride, pass and rental! Holy shit eh! I guess the Aussies there have never heard of cash. You needed a credit card to rent! But I was able to put a $200 deposit on my equipment, even though they don't often do that. Still, I just wanted to get out there and board! There was lots of powder, especially with all the fog and wind and snow blowing everywhere! At some points, we couldnt' even see in front of us. But I'm crazy. That didn't stop me from going fast. And apparently, neither did ditches, which I thought were dips, causing me to come to a complete stop after shoulder bashing it. Good fun! I just got up and laughed it off. We took some good jumps, a few spills. Nothing amazing, but I did get to try a new ski hill. It was very nice. Although with that price tag, it made me miss Smithers. And now, I'm home, finishing up my last minute chores which included my journal entries, blog update, burning photos onto cds, and such. Tomorrow I have to go print photos at Wal-Mart, send home some things and put together a scrap book for Brenda. And now, Gary has so much stuff he's bought for family, friends, co-workers, etc, that he has to put a lot in my bags and we don't know if we can manage to get it all in. I did warn him though not to buy too much. But we'll see tomorrow during my last day in Kelowna!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Enjoy yourself over there in Chinaland k? I'll have to send your Xmas/birthday present when you get back or whatever xx