Saturday, November 10, 2007

Paranoia of happiness? Yeah, sounds like me...







So yes, a bit of my old self popping up this week....damn't.

We were at our mid-project camp this week. That means we are half way done this term, or semester, or phase or whatever. MEANING we are 1/4 done the program. I have no doubts in my mind that the last 3/4 are going to fly by. It was a quick jump into "camp" mode. First, I forgot to pick up the frozen meat from the Food Bank on Friday, and because it was being handed out that day, we got frozen Spam. Just thought I'd throw that little tid bit out there. We were gone for 4 days at Camp Owaissi, about a 15 minute up West Bank. Not quite in the wilderness, but you felt away. We first started the week with a little game. Two actually, we worked well together. The first was called Gotcha. It's all about stealth! You are assigned a person you have to "get" You "get" this person by putting your hand on said person's shoulder and saying "gotcha" at a regular toned voice. No one else can see or hear you do this. If they do, you are not out, your person merely knows who you are now, making it more difficult to get them. Some people were so good they could still get their victims amidst a crowd, with people talking and being busy. The Chinese participants loved this game I think and a few really got into it. I thought it was great, except for the fact that it made me really paranoid. Having Yuchan being vengeful and helping Andy try to get me never helped. But then again, she was acting like she was on crack most of the week (I swear, it was the tea!!!) The other game was a secret friend game. You were assigned a person, again. Only this time, they were your secret friend. You were assigned to do nice things for them, like give them food, hugs, compliments, notes, poems, etc. but without them knowing. Some of the participants didn't quite understand and just told people they were their special friend, while some were quite clever and/or very creative. Poems were indeed on the list, along with notes and special treats. I myself, wrote my special friends name on the grass in pine cones, until I turned around and there she was. But she appreciated it, as we all did. My secret friend happened to write "Devon rocks!" and "Devon rocks more!" on the flip chart, to which I was yelled at when we found out. And I was given a foot massage when I was sleeping. Hey, you can't knock a good foot massage! So yes, those were the games. But we did a lot of reflection and learning, as per the camp. We also had a workshop on the difference in womens rights between China and Canada, another on body image and the differences in THAT between China and Canada, and a Water EAD. All very enlightening. We were always so tired at the end of the day though! Even though most of what we did was sit, we were exhausted! After the workshops and activities, it was straight to teh kitchen for some to make supper. We had to make and clean up all of our meals. I was in the kitchen almost every meal, helping. Mostly because people needed the help. Who knew my meagre food industry experience, such as dish washing and 3 days at Boston Pizza, would come in so handy? It really did though. The food was good, especially the hot pot dinner we had one night. Very fun and delicious. God we were so tired and full!!! We had a good time at camp I think, even though it went by so fast. Most of us had work on Friday, but that zoomed by for me, being busy and excited for my friends coming to visit. They showed up later that night. I took them downtown to Mad Mangoes, a CWY fav Chinese restaurant now. Then we saw a double feature at the movies. Today we went shopping for some bike equipment. I bought some panniers, a rack and a bike shirt, along with doing some price checking. I'm glad I got to introduce them to my friends whom we ran into when we left the lingerie shop (please, don't ask) And yes, I believe we are now up-to-date. But come on, these blogs and words I type can only explain so much of the story


No comments: