Saturday, March 29, 2008

The epic return






We arrived at the airport, some with our host families, some without. After getting our tickets, we hung out in the lobby for a bit with some of our counterparts who showed up to see us off and the few of our host families. It wasn't as teary as we thought, but they will be missed. We eagerly awaited our Jiaxing friends to come with their baggage. When they did, we quickly shared some stories, but had to board our plane. We were quite tired, them more so. Most of us were spread out on the plane, so it wasn't as energetic as it usually was. Most of us read or watched movies, some talked. I read Into The Wild, a book on a man who ditched his old life and family to take to the wilderness, eventually dieing in Alaska. It is somewhat reflective of my soon to be trip across Canada, except I'm not dieing in a frigid state. I did that, wrote in my journal, and played a bit of DS, and before you knew it, we were in Vancouver. We met Joey, a CWY facilitator, and we boarded the school bus to the YWCA where we were at last time. Vancouver was just gorgeous. Everything was so shiny and green! It was like a ahem, veil of smog was lifted from our eyes. We couldn't stop staring at the mountains, the buildings, the glistening water, the green grass! It was beautiful. We settled in the building and dealt with paper work, which included getting our last allowance. We were a bit surprised that our debriefing sessions were 9-5pm. Considering both groups had done their own debriefing, we thought this was a bit extensive. We were wrong. The debriefing was usually done by past supervisors, but now was being handled by CIL, Canada International Learning. However, the facilitator had much experience, from being in the program to working with CWY and also had great cultural knowledge. She understood the concept of culture shock very well. The two groups, Kelowna/Beijing and Northern Okanagan/Jiaxing shared their experiences and compared a bit. They were very similar on some parts, being apart of the same country, but I found had subtle differences. Nothing drastic. We both had good times and rough times. But we all matured and grew out of it. We went to the bar that night, just to relax and meet one of Jamies friends, and wouldn't you know, the world is always small. I ran into a shaggy haired friend of mine! We were both surprised. We went out for a beer the following night. Our three days in Vancouver followed that schedule: Wake up, debriefing, lunch, debriefing, rest or sleep (still suffering from jet lag) supper, bar. Mostly with our group. The debriefing sessions dealt with things from culture shock, how to deal with it, integration into a new life after CWY, and appreciating what we've learned. It was really helpful, and we all took it very serious. The facilitator did a very good job, and we have a booklet to fall back on after were done. I met some friends of mine for dinner the last night. I'm a people pleaser, and had to choose between dinner with them and my group. I hadn't seen them for more then 2 years, and I would still meet up with my friends after for beer, breakfast and lunch, so I went with the friends. But irony follows me around like a persistent cold. After dinner and catching up, I walked one friend to the bar, so I knew where they were and I could try to convince my CWY friends to go there and we could party together. I went to the hotel, expecting everyone to be getting ready to go out that night. No one. After extensive phoning, I found their location and walked there. It was the same bloody restaurant I just ate it! Well, sort of. It was the same restaurant, The Steamhouse, but in a different building not 30 feet away. Fuck. But I met up, and we had a good time. It was different that night at the Cambie though, with beers in our hands. We weren't our energetic selves. We weren't dancing or shouting or even talking all that much. I think we all had so much going on in our heads, that it was hard to live in the moment. Going back to our lives was just a day away. But everyone was there, and I'm glad for that.

Most of us went to breakfast at Cafe Des Arts, this lovely little cafe with great ranchero burritoes. Some of us went there every morning! We returned for our final debriefing. We met with Colin, the manager of our CWY program, and we discussed our experience, what we learned, ups and downs and how to make the program better. He decoded some things for us, and straightened a few bumps I guess. But not all. Then we met with Joey and did a final activity I suggested. I've mentioned before, that I wasn't interested in where I'd be in a year, but who I would be. I suggested an activity that allowed others to express who they thought you were. It's one thing to think of yourself, but it's another to hear from your friends. We had papers with our names on them, and people wrote final comments. Thank yous, reminders of good times, and good expressions. We weren't to read them until we were gone. We held our final circle check. Everyone said their last words, what the group was to them, and their utmost thoughts on the program. To be honest with myself, I had to be honest with them. I told them I felt like I was in a corner most of the program, occasionally stepping out from the shadows of my silent leadership. But despite that, I felt very close with them, and although I did not live with them or maybe even knew them as well as my Katimavik family, they still held the honors of being considered brothers and sisters to me after all we experienced. I don't know how I didn't cry. Some of the girls, however, weren't as introverted. One by one, we all left the hotel, taking taxis to the airport, sometimes in groups. I left in the middle, with Joss from Jiaxing. Heather, Sadie and Leah were left to hug me goodbye. I didn't feel like I did in Katimavik. I didn't feel like a monster for not crying. I didn't say anything. I didn't cry. As I got into the taxi, the only words that could escape were, "I'll see you guys..."

And even as tears start now, writing this, I remind myself, I will see them.

No comments: