Saturday, March 29, 2008

Culture shock?...I'm not sure

When I came back from Katimavik, I returned after nine months. Everything had this weird vibe. Everything seemed slightly shifted to the left. Naturally, some things were gone, others were new, people were different. I stood in my living room and just looked at everything. An old life, the ghosts of dust on the wall. I cleaned up my old room, throwing out so much. It was momunmental for me. I wanted to leave most of my old life behind, and bring my new self forward. I eventually got a job, saw friends, and settled in, a different person.

I come home to parents who missed me, but no friends at the airport. Whatever, people have their lives, no biggy. But things didn't seem out of place this time. It was all familiar, but in a distant way. It seemed different then just returning after a long time. Maybe I'm wrong, this is only my second time returning after a long trip. But as my parents drove home, and I showed a few pictures and shared a few stories, limiting myself as I knew I had only a lifetime to share what I experienced, the things that passed on the road, and even through my mind, just seemed like a dream. It was all a fuzzy dream I was awake in. The friends I left, the places I'd been. Hell, the place I was! I wouldn't know about the friends part until later. It just seemed like the day after would be different.

Upon arrival, I unpacked things, ate a bit, sent off everyones contacts like I promised and hoped I would talk to one of my old friends online. I slept in the most comfy bed I have slept in for 6 months. The following morning came with a whole new set of chores to do, attached to my already hefty list. This included paper work, filing tax papers, replacing lost cards, opening mail, etc. However, I got a lot done. That lingering feeling of being in a dream...is still there. Maybe that's because I won't be here for long. I'm going on a bike trip across Canada. From what has resulted in my 6 month absence, I'm now doing it alone. And I'm scared.

Now what consists of "culture shock" is coming home to friends who abandoned me, parents who have little idea of my plans or the reasons for them, despite being told several times, and a town who may not notice when I leave next time. I have my own reasons for biking across Canada. Very few people understand why. I hope they will soon, and be supportive, and maybe inspired.

But the benefits of our efforts are not always obvious.

Do you know where that quote came from?

A little piece of paper...from a chinese fortune cookie...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Devon!
I was reading your blog for a while, but now I'm on my own trip (to Ireland) and I haven't been up to date. But I come today to see how you were doing and read the last entry. I just wanted to say that your biking trip sounds exciting (I've always wanted to bike across Canada, I "planned" it a couple of times with friends too) and I wish you lots of luck! After Katimavik I also felt a disconect with friends. No matter what, you'll gain alot from your trip.

Anonymous said...

Ηi there, I do believе your blog cοuld pоssibly be having web
browѕеr compatibіlіtу issues.
When I loοκ at уour websіte in
Safаri, it looks fіne howеѵeг when oρеnіng in I.

Ε., it's got some overlapping issues. I simply wanted to provide you with a quick heads up! Besides that, fantastic blog!
Take a look at my web-site ... http://galaxys3.Fr/