Sunday, February 3, 2008

And the poop jokes just kept coming!

I didn't think I could get any more dramatic then I did last entry, but come on! I'm Devon freakin' Flynn! I have a flair for the theatrics! And if you don't agree, then quit reading and fuck off! As per the last blog, I find it pointless to lie on this travel blog. I could surely put how amazing things are, how I've made friends for a lifetime, but thats boring. I write reality, through my eyes, as that's what I see. With that in mind, read on...

But none the less, it was one hell of a weekend, I cannot deny that. It was in fact our mid-project camp. It has been under debate for awhile, as we chose a date before the 2 week Spring Festival, during which obviously was not an option, as the Chinese participants all had to work. However, as we soon discovered, although the date may have been inconvienent for them, it was extremely convienent and well placed for us. As usual, the middle time frame is where it gets tough and people get home sick. Except the Chinese participants in this case. As they are home. We needed a break from our host families and the city. It was a bit rough and tumble, getting started, as information was a bit limited and no one truly ever knew what was going on. We woke up early, meeting at a subway station, and from there, catching a 919 bus, one of many. We rode it for about 2 hours out of Beijing city. We caught another bus, and then another. Few of us knew where we were going, but we knew we were going far and away. Mountains and villages full of dry dead fields were everywhere. We got off in one of those towns. Actually, it quite reminded me of Hazelton. Butt-fuck nowhere. I was quite eager to share this with my group. We unpacked our bags at a small bed and breakfast that you would never guess was. The staff was few but friendly, and the place was welcoming but far from warm. In fact, it was freezing. Most of us never took our clothes off that weekend! But the Canadians loved it, and I'm sure the Chinese were quite miserable. They had seen the country sides like this before, and I'm sure most of them could care less. We started up some workshops
, focusing on group dynamics. These were put together by the Canadians and a few Chinese. They were well planned I think and well executed as well. However, the fault in this lay that several counterparts were missing, and would show up later that afternoon, and some had to leave the next day! Mine was one of them. However, before he left, I managed to have a talk with him about our work placement and my deep disatisfaction with it. Although nothing new had changed, it was a little more structured now. However, I would have really liked to have done the counterpart contract review with him. I haven't met some of my goals and I don't think he's met some of his. I was a bit disappointed in this, and in place, did a graph on my own of my up and down times of the program and wrote out the many things I missed back home in Canada. We're all home sick, I told you. Most mid-project camps are about bonding and strengthening those bonds and becoming better counterparts, teachers and even friends. Well oh my, aren't we the exception! Most of the counterparts talked at one point or another, discussing problems and communication. However, it was a lost cause. Keep in mind, some counterpart pairs still get along. We night held its own surprises. We were treated with fireworks by the village chief or mayor or whatever. Our guess is that they used the money we paid the bed and breakfast for was used to pay for them. We shopped for our own as well, but they were too expensive. Upon telling the mayor this, he offered to get us a deal, but we declined as we didn't want to impose and we would see plenty during the Spring Festival. We had a few drinks and played cards in Maxime's room. The next morning, we were a bit shocked to find the Chinese participants (or who was left) left for the bus without us, inciting that the Canadians were always late. Not only was it not true, it was very un-mid-project-like. They didn't even warn us. We were to leave at 8:30, we left at 8:31. WOOOOO! Too bad they walk slow, we caught up fast. It relayed back that nothing had really kicked in that weekend it seemed. We caught the bus and bussed to Badaling. It's a very busy tourist attraction, but for good reason. It's a popular gate to the Great Wall of freakin' China! We climbed the Great Wall! I was mesmerized by the fact that we got to do what millions of people have on their to-do list. It was much cooler then any temple I found, despite having no plaques to read or translators or anything. It was just cool! And very steep might I add. The mountain ranges were beautiful, misty in the distance. I wish I took more pictures. Even so, it was short lived. We were only there for about 2 hours. I'd have loved to walked further. Felix and I raced up and down at one point. One thing they forget to tell you is how many goddamn tourists are there! You don't see them in the photos. I found it to be one big bricked mountain for me to conquer. Even with a heavy back pack, I found no trouble traversing it. There's talk amongst us about going back. I think it would be worth it. I was sad to leave. We took the gondola down because I thought the roller coaster would be too slow. Yes, that's another thing they don't tell you. They have a fucking ROLLERCOASTER down the Great Wall! They look like colorful go-karts. That's deplorable! Using a national monument as a tacky tourist attraction. Did I mention the huge Beijing Olympics 2008 sign on the mountain? Guess not. We had a long bus ride home, but didn't end the weekend there. We went to Xidan shopping center. The girls went shopping while the guys went to the arcade. Figures. We met up with Maxime and his pregnant friend who's travelling around the world and went to Li Qun, a famous roast duck restaurant found in a hutong. It was my first roast duck dinner. People have ranted and raved about it, and I find it a bit dramatic. It tastes like turkey, except for the fatty skin which is delicious. But it's nothing to eat over and over. And they eat it weird. You eat it as a wrap with cucumber, green onion slices and a sauce. But when in Rome, do as the Romans do. I'm not sure how excited my host family was to have me back. But I can never tell what they're saying, so whatever. At least I didn't have to sleep in my clothes.

I was busy for the next couple of days. I visited the Llama Temple. This time, I found it! I was excited to see the big ass buddha statue carved from a single sandalwood tree. 18 meters does it justice, boy howdy! And one tree? That's insane! It's Spring Festival time, so there are lots of parties to attend. We went to one at the Government building. We saw dancers and singer and performed "Hey Jude" again. I'm sick of that song now. Although this time wasn't that bad. And yesterday, I went to Gary's office Spring Festival party. He was the MC; it was the accumulation to all his hard work (and absenteeism of mid-project) But it was a very cool party. They dressed me up in a Chinese shirt and made me dance and play a balloon popping game. Of course I won because I rock. I'm sure anywhere else in the world they would recognize me and my balloon popping capabilities as that of a god. :) Today I had quite a different attitude. I was very depressed. It was just one of those days where all the small things add up, and you can smell it coming from the morning. The short volunteering I did was a joke. It was at a volunteer booth for...um...volunteers. I wore a volunteer vest and a silly hat/mask. I was the "foreign translator" My job was to speak to foreigners, ei: those who spoke english, asking questions about the olympics. 1) What the fuck is wrong with them? I suck at translating! In fact, some guy talked to our group briefly. They pointed me out and he talked to me in Mandarin. Gary explained he wanted to know how well my Mandarin was. I told him the fact that I couldn't understand him was testament as to how bad my language skills. 2) I had a box full of bandaides and minor injury aids in case someone ill or hurt came to our booth. Buddy, your arms missing! Don't come to me, go walk to the goddamn hospital! In fact, why the hell are you talking to me! Ask the guy beside me who speaks your language. For that matter, a missing limb screams "TAKE ME TO THE FUCKING HOSPITAL" in any language! All this, and I was only there for 20 minutes. Christ! See? I told you it was a bad day. One worthy of a nice tourette style rant. Oh wait, I just did that. We had a lunch with Director Wang after. Roast duck again. He had no problem with us drinking some bai jiu. It's Chinese New Years! Drink up! I didn't have much. I didn't feel good. Don't give the bitchy guy booze, it won't end well. He might end up typing something he might regret *looks around* Nope, nothing yet!

AND ENOUGH WITH THE GODDAMN FIREWORKS! I'M TRYING TO GET SOME SLEEP FOR CRYING OUT LOUD! YOU DON'T NEED AN EXPLOSION EVERY FREAKIN' MINUTE!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You has never had duck pancakes with plum sauce before? o.O

Personally I don't even like duck.

Hope you're feeling better!