Saturday, September 29, 2007

It was a fairly easy day today. Nothing big, no big plans. We got to sleep in, which was a big bonus. I packed a lunch for Gary and I and we went out on the town, seeking fame, fortune and adventure. It's hard finding those when you take the bus. We planned on going to the Orchard Park Mall, to do a bit of shopping, learn the bus system and get our bearings as to where everything is. Gary had never rode this style of bus system, and me? Well, public transit is a feasable challenge. I took him to some book stores, clothing stores, electronic stores. There was a large booth for the 2010 Vancouver olympics, which I thought might have something about the 2008 Beijing olympics, to make Gary feel more at home. Sadly, they did not. But one girl did give Gary some pins to take home, we played a snowboarding game for the Wii and there was a gymnast signing cards. I told Gary to ask her for her phone number (out loud) but she said she had a boyfriend. Now, usually I'd be used to his. But Gary asked me some questions that got me thinking; he wanted to know if he could ask beautiful girls, like that one, if he could be there friends. I felt kind of bad when I told him it's not that easy, that most of us have to talk to them to learn more about them, and that sometimes it happens naturally. It's a shame too, because shouldn't it BE that easy? You don't have to be their girlfriend or boyfriend obviously, but just a friend. He was a bit paranoid about causing sexual harassment, which I totally understood, being from a different set of customs that may include how you talk to the opposite sex. Not even a week with my counterpart and I'm questioning my culture.

3 comments:

Andy said...

Our culture is weird, Devon.

When we had Chinese exchange students at my high school, they held hands often, and got some odd looks because of that from other people. I thought it was cool :)

eeka said...

dude you're lucky your cp speaks english, mine and myself still have hard times explaining what's going on today. howevre we're at the point where our conversations are more than 4 sentences long, and about things we care about. take care!!

Anonymous said...

Oh snap, I have a blogspot account I forgot about...I can comment!

You teach him your gentlemanly ways :P